Monday, February 23, 2015

Žižek on Christian Zionism

Slavoj Žižek's theories are viewed today as either genius or nonsense veiled in poly-syllables, to paraphrase Noam Chomsky.  I've tried reading his PARALLAX VIEW several times and have found myself stumped within several pages.  I attribute this to the fact I have absolutely no grasp of continental philosophy and perhaps never will, at least in a proper fashion.  However, in the two film theory documentaries he has produced with Sophie Fiennes, THE PERVERT'S GUIDE TO CINEMA and PERVET'S GUIDE TO IDEOLOGY, I have both enjoyed and comprehended the points he makes.  In terms of Anglo-American film theory as opposed to continental, I admit to having a slight comprehension, I can adequately describe Althusser's description of the ideological state apparatus and the Christian Metz's Grand Syntagmatique along with Bordwell's conceptual framework, but I don't pretend to be an expert.
Žižek's discussion of the Christian Zionist logic here is pretty easy to grasp and is a good primer for understanding the underlying problem of the most chauvinistic of Israeli settlers allying themselves with the most blatant anti-Semitic elements of American Evangelicals.

No comments:

Post a Comment